Hunt Climb

Sensible reviews of mountain gear from someone who uses it.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hunt Climb

  There are plenty of climbing gear blogs online and several very good ones.  There are a few backpack hunting gear blogs too, but only a handful of good ones. One of the better to date is the BC Hunting Blog.  Definitely some knowledge and real world experience there.  Not many products reviewed, but they are pretty thorough. 
  
  The purpose here is to use my experience in ice and alpine climbing and backpack hunting to illuminate some good gear that suits my needs well.  Is this a climbing gear blog?  Yes.  Is this a hunting gear blog?  Yes.  Probably 90% of my backpack hunting gear is the same stuff I drag out for alpine climbs in the Absoroka's or Cascades.  Additionally, it is just plain difficult to find reviews, pictures and weights for gear that's not mainstream.  You'll see me link to High Caliber Gear and Prolite Gear a lot.  They are my hometown shops and I like to support them when I can.  They are hunter friendly and carry some gear that is hard or impossible to find elsewhere.

  The following will help you know where my reviews are coming from, where my biases are, and how you can apply my thoughts to your gear:
-My hunting interests are directed toward mule deer in alpine terrain and black bear.  If you think something I review won't work for your elk hunt because I'm not interested in hunting elk, fair enough.
-I've climbed technical ice, alpine, and rock in the Bitterroot, N. Cascade, Bridger, Absoroka, Gallatin, Beartooth, and Wind River ranges. 
-I grew up hunting, but I was seriously interested in alpine climbing before backpack hunting, so I have no allegiance to hunting specific gear manufacturers.  Now that I've tried a few of them I can't believe the hype that some people buy into.  I'm open to new companies and boutique manufacturers--hunting based or not.
-I have worked several field seasons monitoring natural resources; this has allowed me to hike and backpack on and off trail in some interesting places that I never would have seen for +- 50 days each year on top of recreational hunts and climbs.
-You won't find my posts tagged "hardcore", "DIY", or "extreme". 


  Final Word:  For a lot of people who "backpack hunt", the gear obsession is 99% of what they do.  "All hat, no cattle" comes to mind.  Use your gear and the info you find here to get out and enjoy creation.  Don't limit yourself to hunting season.  Go running, backpacking, XC skiing, climbing, etc. to broaden your skill set and enjoy the outdoors all year long.  I'm not a great hunter or a great climber, but if you love to get out I think you'll appreciate my point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment