Hunt Climb

Sensible reviews of mountain gear from someone who uses it.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka

  The Montbell Alpine Light Parka is probably my most frequently used piece of insulation.  I've used it primarily as a belay jacket for ice climbing and to throw on for glassing sessions.  My XL weighs 15.8oz. (448g), which is pretty good for 4.3 oz. of down load.  The hood goes over a helmet if you care, and the pockets are sized nicely for gloved hands and a hat.  Two big inside pockets are nice for a Nalgene of tea or more commonly for drying wet gloves/socks/hats.  The hood adjustments are sufficient.  The cuffs are elastic.

  The newest iteration has a drawcord on the hem, something I've commonly missed on mine.  I've considered sewing one in myself.  The outside pocket zippers could be a little smoother, but aren't too bad.  The fabric is Montbell's 30d ballistic nylon and is tougher than you'd expect.  I caught the sleeve on my crampons pulling them out of the car; thinking  it was stuck under a boot I gave a good pull and it didn't give.  I would expect this kind of toughness from a burly, heavy jacket, but for a one pound puffy I was pretty impressed.
 

The Good:
-High warmth:weight ratio
-Durable for the weight
-Good cut for going over layers
-Great pockets

The Bad:
-My only major gripe was the lack or a drawcord at the hem, which they fixed.  Worth noting if buying an older version though.

Bottom Line:  For a sub 16oz. belay jacket this is one of the absolute best values on the market.  Montbell's prices are slowly creeping up, but they are still on the lower end of the price spectrum with very functional gear.  I use this piece while sitting, down to about 0* with a 150 weight wool base and mid-layer.  9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment