Hunt Climb

Sensible reviews of mountain gear from someone who uses it.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Rab Phantom Grip Gloves

  The Rab Phantom Grip gloves are the only pair of gloves that I use extensively in all four season.  They are light (2.0 oz./pair), comfortable, and fit my hand just right.  Aside from the cut, which may or may not work for you, the fabric makes these tick.  In my opinion, Polartec Windpro is one of the most underrated fabrics for active mid layers, hats, and gloves.  It blocks wind fairly well, but breathes and dries out WAY better than anything with a windproof membrane.  The palms are covered with a rubber grid for grip--unfortunately in cold weather the rubber stiffens up a fair amount and doesn't provide the consistent performance of leather palms.  Not a huge deal for hunting, but for climbing it can be a problem.
  The trade-off is that you get amazing dexterity and very good performance in cool weather.  The fabric weave has a hard enough face to shed light, cold snow.  The is one of the only gloves that I am very comfortable shooting in.  Above about 10* these are my go to glove for leading ice.  I carry two pairs and keep one next to my torso to dry out/stay warm.
  Unfortunately, Rab's build quality has really gone downhill with many of their products.  They are still on par with Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, etc., but are no longer near the top of the game in terms of workmanship.  That said, they make decent stuff at relatively reasonable prices and have a broad, well-thought out line.


The Good:
-Light
-Breathe well and dry fast
-Very dextrous
-Shed light weather

The Bad:
-Lose some "stickiness" in the cold.  Some decrease is to be expected, but I think they should have used softer rubber
-Build quality is OK.  I blew a seam on one pair after a couple of months.

Bottom Line:  Great glove for hunting and active use.  Could be more durable.  The dexterity is awesome and worth the costs to me.  7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment