Hunt Climb

Sensible reviews of mountain gear from someone who uses it.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Rab Vapour Rise Lite

Rab Vapour Rise Lite
12.0 oz. (341g)
  This is another one of those pieces that I just always seem to reach for.  It is a softshell in it's purest form, though the hooded version (Vapour Rise Lite Tour) would top my list if I did it over.  It is very similar in function to the venerable Marmot DriClimb, but with a better shell fabric in my opinion.  The liner is Polartec Powerdry; a finely woven, soft material well suited to moving moisture mechanically.  The outer fabric (Pertex Equilibrium) makes this jacket in my opinion.  It is very wind resistant, dries incredibly fast, and moves moisture mechanically due to capillary action.  The inner face of the fabric is of larger diameter and looser weave than the outer face; moisture is naturally drawn outward along a mechanical gradient.  If you keep your DWR up to snuff it will be a moisture gradient too.
  There are two huge outer pockets and a hem drawcord.  There is a drawcord around the neck that I could do without on a hoodless jacket.  The velcro on the cuffs is a little more cumbersome than necessary, though not a problem.
  This jacket is a perfect midlayer in frigid conditions or active outer layer in cool/cold weather.  Even when damp I never feel uncomfortably wet in this jacket.  Since I know I can rely on it to dry quickly, it is with me on most spring hunts and summer hiking trips.  The sleeves are cut too short for climbing, so it's not an option for that purpose for me.
  The shelled micropile is a softshell in it's purest form.  Andy Kirkpatrick has a great article about the softshell revolution and how most manufacturers are way off the mark when it comes to their proper function.  You can find it here:  "The Real Softshell Story"  The Vapour Rise and Vapour Rise Lite line exemplify the right mix of breathability, comfort, and weather protection.

The Good:
-Very breathable and dries quickly
-Weather resistant
-Large pockets
-Comfortable enough to sleep in

The Bad:
-The cuffs aren't my favorite and the neck drawcord is extraneous in my opinion

The Bottom Line:  The Rab Vapour Rise line is excellent.  Rab build quality is good (not great) but the fabrics and design are worth it.  Not that expensive either.  9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment