Hunt Climb

Sensible reviews of mountain gear from someone who uses it.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Integral Designs Primalid

  The Integral Designs Primalid is pretty representative of ID in general:  very functional, durable, and only passably stylish even in the 80's.  It is my favorite headwear and the warmest 1.6 oz. (45g) that I carry.  Soft, stretchy fleece ear band, Primaloft Sport (of the 3 oz. thickness variety), and P685, which is an old Pertex fabric that is rarely if ever used anymore.  It has proven tough, and for the weight I can usually justify tossing it in for quick stops, extra warmth for glassing, and most commonly to give my sleep system a boost.




The Good:
-Light and very warm
-Tough fabric
-Comfortable

The Bad:
-On the newest version the original fabric has been replaced by a calendered, stiffer fabric that I don't like as much.  I'm sure it works well, it's just not quite as plush for sleeping in.  The sizing also changed a little bit from the original.

Bottom Line:  One of my favorite items from ID. Light and very warm for the weight.
Old version: 10/10
New version:  9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment